This guide will walk you step by step through the theme installation process and also show you how to customize the theme styles and content to fit your preferences. This tutorial assumes that you already have the WordPress.org platform installed on your domain. Go ahead and login to your WordPress dashboard and begin the steps below. Each section also has the video timestamp noted for quick viewing reference.
01 / Theme Installation
INSTALL GENESIS + FRANKIE (:43)
- Download and unzip your purchased Frankie.zip theme file package.
- Upload and activate the Genesis theme: Under Appearance > Themes, click Add New. Click Upload Theme and choose the genesis.zip file to upload. Click Install Now. After installation, click Activate.
- Upload and activate the Frankie theme: Under Appearance > Themes, click Add New. Click Upload Theme and choose the RMT_frankie.zip file to upload. Click Install Now. After installation, click Activate.
INSTALL REQUIRED PLUGINS (3:53)
- On the message that displays near the top of the screen, click Begin installing plugins.
- Select all plugins and from the drop-down menu pick Install and then click Apply.
- Once all have been installed click the ‘Return to plugins installer’ button.
- Select all plugins and from the drop-down menu pick Activate and then click Apply.
- Ensure that all plugins are installed and activated before installing the demo content.
- If any plugins need to be updated, run the updater.
ADJUST PLUGIN SETTINGS (4:23)
- In Settings > Google Font Selector, follow the steps to get a Google Font API Key and add that key. Click save changes.
- In Settings > ACF Typography settings add that same API key and save.
- In Settings > Post Type Order, scroll to the bottom and click Save Settings
IMPORT DEMO DATA (5:31)
In order to make your site match the demo site, you’ll want to import in all the demo content. This will not erase any content that you currently have, but will get all of the page templates and settings setup properly so you can go in and adjust the content and photos.
- Navigate to Appearance > Import Demo Data and click the button that says “Import Demo Data”.
- The import process can take up to 5 minutes depending on your server setup. As shown in the video, be patient and do not refresh the screen.
- Once the page reloads, scroll to the bottom and you should see a line that says “All done, have fun!”. If you don’t see this line, scroll back to the top and click the “Import Demo Data” button once more. Some servers will limit your file upload size so you may need to run the importer 2-3 times before you see the message.
02 / Adjust Settings
ADJUST WORDPRESS SETTINGS (8:20)
- Navigate to Settings > Reading, and select the “A Static Page” option and select your Homepage and Posts Page from the dropdown. Set your blog pages to show 3 in order to match the site. Click to save changes.
- Navigate to Settings > Discussion, and scroll down to uncheck “Show Avatars”.
- Navigate to Settings > Permalinks, and select Post Name (or your desired preference) and click save.
IMPORT RESPONSIVE MENU SETTINGS (9:13)
To activate the same responsive menu styles that you see on the demo of the theme, we’ve included these settings in a file within the Frankie theme folder. Navigate to Responsive Menu > Technical Tab > scroll down to “Transfer”, click Choose File and select the responsive-menu-settings.json file. Click import.
IMPORT GRAVITY FORMS SETTINGS (9:38)
- Navigate to the Forms tab on your dashboard. Here it will prompt you to enter a license key. Copy/paste this key (30c59ecb34bcb0bff6d3d4c3642a5aac) and then continue to click through until you see the “Installation Complete” message.
- Navigate back to Import/Export, Select “Import Forms”, click Choose Files and select the “gravityforms-export.json” file. Click import and it will load the 2 forms setup for this theme.
For more information on using Gravity Forms, please refer to their support forum and documentation here. Some things you may want to learn more about could include: Setting notification and confirmation preferences, linking up your newsletter subscription list (ie Mailchimp), creating more advanced forms, and editing additional settings.
SET UP MENUS (12:35)
- To set up your menu items, navigate to Appearance > Menus.
- Create a new menu titled “Left Menu”. This will be the link area to the left of your header logo. Select the menu items you would like, adjust their order, and save.
- Create another new menu titled “Right Menu”. This will be the link area to the right of your header logo. Select the menu items you would like, adjust their order, and save.
- Create one more new menu titled “Main Menu”. This will be the link area used in your footer, as well as on your mobile responsive menu. Select the menu items you would like, adjust their order, and save.
ACTIVATE FRANKIE SETTINGS (15:28)
- From the dashboard, navigate to the “Frankie Settings” tab. Once the page opens, simply click “Update” to force activate the options stylesheet.
- Also (as shown in detail in the video) be sure to set the first font to the default font specified. Save these changes.
ADJUST GENESIS SETTINGS (18:43)
To ensure your blog and work pages function and appear correctly you will need to make updates to the Genesis Theme Settings. Navigate to Genesis > Theme Settings > Content Archives, and select the following options:
- Select “Entry Excerpts” in first dropdown
- Check the “Display featured image” checkbox
- Set the Featured Image Size to “Featured”
- Set the Featured Image Alignment to “Center”
- Set the Entry Pagination Type to “Prev/Next”
- Click Publish and then exit.
REGENERATE THUMBNAILS IF NEEDED (19:26)
If your site has previous content (specifically blog entries), we’ve included a tool that will make sure your featured images get sized and cropped appropriately. Navigate to Tools > Regenerate Thumbnails, and click the button to regenerate all of your images. This can take several minutes to do depending on the size of your media library. Be sure to not exit out of the page until the task is fully complete.
CONNECT INSTAGRAM FEED (19:52)
- Navigate to the “Instagram Feed” tab from your dashboard.
- Click the big blue button to connect your Instagram account.
- Click over to the “Customize” tab and adjust the following settings: Set # of photos to 3, Set # of columns 3, Check the box to disable mobile layout, Uncheck the Header checkmarks, Uncheck the Load More Button checkmark, Uncheck the Follow button checkmark.
03 / Customize
ADD CUSTOM PAGE CONTENT (20:36)
Refer to the video guide (specific timestamp above) for instructions on how to properly edit page content, post content, and portfolio items.
ADJUST THEME STYLES (15:44)
Refer to the video guide (specific timestamp above) for instructions on how to properly edit your logo, fonts, colors, social icons, etc.